On 18th July the Council approved Rules for Rules Specifying Examinations and Criteria for Registration in the Supervised Division. A copy of the Rules can be found by clicking here. A copy of the Guidelines for the Examination for Applicants Applying for Registration in the Supervised Divison can be found by clicking here.
The Guidelines for Employers of medical practitioners registered in the Supervised Division of the Register in supervised posts can be found by clicking here.
For doctors to be considered for registration within the Supervised Division they must have been offered a position with the HSE, in a post which has been approved as an individually numbered, identifiable post.
Advice to Applicants
An application for registration in the Supervised Division will not be considered without this advice. Such applications will be returned to the applicant. For applicants who have received the offer of a position with the HSE, in a post which has been approved as an individually numbered, identifiable post, the doctor may apply for registration in the Supervised Division.
The application process involves two levels.
Level 1 will verify a doctor's qualifications and also confirm that the doctor has not been subject to disciplinary proceedings in any jurisdiction where they previously practised. It will require the following to be completed by the doctor:
- Complete the Council's generic application form.pdf
- Attach all the required documentation for the Supervised Division which is:.
- Notarised/attested copy of your current passport
- Notarised/attested copy of your basic (primary) medical qualification which you received on the day you were conferred, clearly displaying the conferral date
- An original Certificate of Current Professional Status/Good Standing, dated within the last 3 months, is being sent directly to the Medical Council from all overseas registration authorities with whom I am or have been registered within the past five years. [Note: If the name on your degree differs to the name on your Certificate, we also require the authority to confirm that you are one and the same person.] AND, where applicable, Sworn Declaration re unregistered practice (a standard Declaration is obtainable directly from the Medical Council). See paragraph 3.7 of the Guide.
- Pay the Level 1 Assessment fee (currently €375)
Upon receipt of a fully complete application and supporting documentation, the Council will assess the doctor's eligibility. If the application passes the Level 1 assessment the doctor will then be eligible for the Level 2 Assessment.
Level 2 will involve an examination measuring competence in the areas of clinical judgement, communication and data interpretation.
Upon passing the Level 2 assessment stage, the doctor will then be registered in the Supervised Division. A certificate will issue to the doctor confirming the division and details of the post to which the registration applies.
Professional Competence Requirements
All doctors in the Supervised Division of the register have a duty to maintain professional competence by enrolling in a professional competence scheme and engaging in maintenance of professional competence activities which are relevant to their practice.
Further details in relation to professional competence can be found here.
Please click on the following link for the results of the ESD Level 2 Examinations held between 28th November and 8th December 2011.THESE RESULTS ARE PROVISIONAL AND SHALL BE CONFIRMED IN WRITING TO EACH CANDIDATE.
PLEASE NOTE: If the period of the post lapses or the doctor leaves the post, the doctor's registration will cease.
The Medical Council and the HSE have signed an agreement for the processing and registering of applicants to the Supervised Division for the period from 7th October until the end of January 2012. A copy of the Agreement can be found by clicking here.