Accreditation Assessor Panel
In all accreditation activity, the main purpose of the assessment is for the Medical Council to determine if there is compliance with the standards which have been set down by Council. Assessors play a central role in this crucial activity.
Teams normally comprise a combination of medically qualified members of the Medical Council; non-medical members of the Medical Council; and external assessors. The external assessors have expertise in medical education and/or training and/or quality assurance, or represent the public interest. At least one assessor will normally be from outside the jurisdiction. Each Team has a Chairperson, normally a member of the Medical Council.
To be appointed, assessors must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Awareness and comprehension - Knowledge and understanding of healthcare systems and/or healthcare education in Ireland or in another jurisdiction; knowledge and understanding of regulation and quality assurance in Ireland or in another jurisdiction; knowledge and understanding of third-level education in Ireland or in another jurisdiction
- Analytical skills - Effective information-handling, understanding and absorbing complex information, making decisions based on evidence and logic, on the basis of Council standards
- Professionalism - Adhering to high personal ethical standards, prioritising patient safety, maintaining confidentiality, impartiality and objectivity, being enthusiastic, motivated and committed
- Interpersonal and communication skills - Team-working and collaborating, working constructively and respecting the views and contribution of others, interacting effectively with stakeholders and consumers, communicating effectively and courteously
- Chairing ability (if an assessor wishes to be considered to chair an accreditation team) - Team leadership qualities and chairing experience: Candidates for the position of Chair must have previous experience in Medical Council accreditation (i.e. they must have been a member of Medical Council Accreditation Teams prior to chairing an accreditation).
The assessor panel is composed of the following members:
|Dr Declan Ashe||Dr Anna Clarke||Professor Alan Johnson|
|Professor David Barlow ||Professor Anthony Cunningham||Professor Jason Last|
|Ms Mairead Boohan||Dr Suzanne Donnelly||Dr Barry Lewis|
|Ms Katharine Bulbulia||Dr Joe Duignan||Dr Daragh Moneley|
|Ms Anne Carrigy||Dr Andrew Gilliland||Dr Dermot Power|
|Ms Angela Carragher||Dr Bairbre Golden||Dr Hemal Thakore|
| || || |