Internship to General or Trainee Specialist Registration

If you're completing your internship, please ensure that you submit all the necessary paperwork to your intern co-ordinator for sign off on your internship. Doctors who successfully complete their internship in Ireland are granted a Certificate of Experience. This is required when applying for general or trainee specialist registration.

If your internship is finishing you must do one of the following:

  • If you wish to apply for general or trainee specialist registration, you can apply to transfer through your online registration account.
  • If you require an extension of your internship registration, contact the Medical Council using the online contact form.
  • If you do not intend to practise medicine in the State after completing your internship training, you could apply to voluntary withdraw or apply for a transfer through your online registration account.